The permanent exhibition „Castle Laboratory Tübingen – The Cradle of Biochemistry” in the historical castle laboratory conveys the big significance of the Tübingen biochemistry from the beginnings to the present. Historical tools and preparations give an impression of the laboratory work in the 19th century. Interactive media conveys insights into the modern biochemistry research
A Significant Place of Scientific History
The not yet accessible, original test tube with nucleic acid from Friedrich Miescher is the main focus of the presentation. Miescher had discovered the substance, which was first identified as carrier of the genetic material decades later, in the year 1869 in this place.
In the former kitchen of the Tübingen castle the university set up a chemical laboratory in 1818 which soon became one of the worldwide first research centers for biochemistry. Georg Carl Sigwart and Julius Eugen Schlossberger belonged to the pioneers of this subject that researched the chemical advances in the living, especially the human’s metabolism.
Outstanding research was carried out by the early Tübingen biochemistry in the era of Felix Hoppe-Seyler who was appointed as professor in 1861. He researched the red blood pigment and named it “haemoglobin”.
In 1869 his pupil Friedrich Miescher made the groundbreaking discoveryof a substance in the castle laboratory and named it “nucleic” – today known as DNA and RNA, the carriers of the genetic information.
In this tradition, the conclusion was made to make the historical castle laboratory accessible again from 2015 onwards: The Tübingen biopharma company CureVac financed the museum’s interior from moneys of a European research prize. What Friedrich Miescher once discovered here is the basis of future-oriented research for new vaccines and immunotherapy against cancer in Tübingen today.