The old garden with its many exotic trees is a “green island” in the city and a wonderful place to relax.
In 1805 the Botanical Garden of the university was set up, complete with arboretum, green houses and palm houses. In the 17th century the site was used as the drill grounds for the physical fitness of the students of the “Collegium illustre”. At the time, both a riding stable and a theater were located on the grounds. The Botanical Garden of the university moved to the newly built institutes of natural sciences in 1969.