Built from 1875–78, St. John’s Church is one of the most prominent examples of neo-gothic architecture in Württemberg.
St. John’s Church, named in honor of the apostle and evangelist in 1878, replaced the parish church, located south of here. The parish church had been constructed in the former ballroom of the “Collegium illustre” or former academy of knights. In the land of Württemberg, which became a kingdom in 1806, the spread of Catholicism lead to an increasingly religiously diverse population. Just a few years after the founding of the Faculty of Catholic Theology, the first Catholic parish since the Reformation was founded. The impressive stained-glass windows in the choir depict the witness of John the Baptist, scenes from Jesus’ life and images from the life of John.
Updated: August 18, 2020